Bioprocessing Engineer II/ III
New Age Meats is a fast-growing Berkeley startup developing plant-based and cultivated meat. We create delicious meat made without animal slaughter – healthier for humans, animals, and the planet.
Come change the World with us! NAM is looking for an experienced, solution-orientated Process Engineer II/III to join our growing Production team. If you thrive doing methodical process development on mammalian platform systems in a fast paced, fast evolving, and a team player, we would love to talk to you!
- DoE based process development/optimization to facilitate robust cell expansion on lab scale bioreactor operations and cell culture experiments, including testing novel platforms and procedures.
- Experimental design, acquire and analysis of experimental data. recording all experimental designs, data, observations, and results in an electronic laboratory notebook or hardcopy notebook
- This role will be expected to present experimental summaries, conclusions, and next stage experiments to team members and the larger group in an organized, and logical manner, both verbally and visually.
- Contribute to the design, development, and operation of fed-batch, batch and perfusion processes
- Establish procedures for: media batching, inoculation, culture, and harvest of bioreactors
- Contribute to delivering a process amenable to GMP operations
- Author Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Batch Production Records (BPRs), and other quality/R&D documentation as needed
- Managing installation, maintenance, calibration, and troubleshooting of process development and automation equipment.
- Operation and maintenance of process monitoring/analysis equipment like biochemical analyzers
- Maintain process specific inventory of parts and consumables
- Contribute to applying established platform approaches and problem-solving skills to rapidly tackle scale up challenges and build robust processes with efficient experimentation.
- Contribute to driving innovation and utilize out-of-the-box thinking to contribute to technology development
- Expand and develop skills in cell culture in multiple forms, further contributing to the integrated group
- Represent and foster the company's 5 Core Values
- 5+ years combined academic and industrial experience in cell culture and process development
- Hands-on participation in the development or operation of procedures and platforms such as:
- Perfusion culture -perfusion bioreactors, microfluidics
- Fed batch processes, Fermentation processes, plant-cell based systems
- Benchtop bioprocess culture,
- Solid understanding and mastery of aseptic technique for benchtop experimentation and large volume liquid transfer
- Working knowledge of basic laboratory safety, good laboratory practices, and waste handling. Familiarity with CGMP manufacturing a plus.
- Good critical thinker, self-motivated, innovative, solution orientated team player
- Detail-oriented and well-organized.
- Must be comfortable working independently and on a team. Be willing to mentor junior or less experienced staff; willing to take direction and correction.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced and evolving environment.
- Must be willing and able to work some evenings and weekends on a rotating basis.
- BS MA or PhD in chemical engineering, biochemical engineering or related life sciences field.
- Flexible insurance offerings with generous company stipend
- Equity stock options
- 401k with match
- Flexible PTO
- Sponsored lunches
- Commuter benefits
Our 5 Core Values
1. Innovation for Impact
We seek to do something new, big and different united to achieve a substantive end goal
2. Ambition with Empathy
We attract passionate, self-motivated builders that treat their teammates with kindness, candor and understanding
3. Growth oriented Mindset
We take chances and fail forward in order to break through convention, knowing we might not get it right the first time
4. Diversity & Inclusion builds Success
We proactively foster a diverse and inclusive workplace that is a competitive advantage for our success
5. Integrity above All
We are fair, ethical, candid and accountable for our actions no matter what the circumstance or situation
New Age Meats is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.Apply Now