New Age Meats is a fast-growing Berkeley startup developing plant-based and cultivated meat. We create delicious meat made without animal slaughter – healthier for humans, animals, and the planet.
The Operations Director is responsible for overseeing freight and distribution, materials planning and management, procurement, production scheduling, capacity planning, and plant operations via process improvement, employee relations, and problem resolution to improve organizational effectiveness through building and developing the operations organization, processes, and procedures to support strategic direction. Must establish operations initiatives for improvement in safety, quality, cost, delivery, and employee relations.
- Oversees operations of pilot scale food facility (must be on site in Alameda, CA)
- Defines, tracks, and manages KPIs for inventory, production, and fulfillment to measure efficiency and improvement over time. Establishes manufacturing policies in areas such as appropriate manufacturing techniques, materials usage, shipping and receiving, capacity planning, production scheduling, forecasting, safety, customer satisfaction, employee relations.
- Oversees operations budget to ensure compliance with organizational expenditure requirements.
- Establishes operations standards such as cost control, waste reduction, quality, safety, and complete and on-time delivery.
- Develops short- and long-term production strategies for processes and competencies to build internally or outsource and execute a roadmap for both
- Directs implementation and execution of manufacturing policies and practices, to include but not limited to, SOPs and cGMPs, throughout the organization.
- Recommends and implements strategic changes in manufacturing and operations strategy.
- Ensures that input materials are sourced and ordered with supply chain delays in mind
- Builds, develops, and manages operations leadership team capable of carrying out needed operations strategies and improving employee relations by engaging cross functionally with:
- Provides leadership for problem resolution to facilitate faster improvements and improved working relationships.
- Fosters an environment of continuous improvement and teamwork which encourages employee involvement, contribution, and positive morale.
- Ensures compliance with local, state, federal regulations including but not limited to OSHA, EPA, USDA, FDA regulations.
- Represent and foster the company's 5 Core Values.
- 5-7 years in managerial experience, operations leadership, continuous improvement; food manufacturing required, most preferably under USDA, FDA, GFSI
Job Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Leadership: a demonstrated ability to lead people and get results through others.
- Planning: an ability to think ahead and plan to at least a one (1) year time horizon.
- Management: the ability to organize and manage multiple priorities.
- Adaptability: Adjusts quickly to learnings or shifts in strategy, re-prioritizing with ease and positive energy
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills; Able to structure and process qualitative or quantitative data and draw insightful conclusions from it
- Strong cross-functional communication and collaboration – skilled at working across the business, bringing different functions together and/or along as we roll out new initiatives
- Develop and deploy manufacturing systems. Learns new systems and tools quickly and is able to leverage them to improve processes and increase efficiency.
- Troubleshoot and solve problems at both a strategic and functional level.
- Practiced (and/or certified) in GMP, HACCP, Lean Manufacturing, Kaizen, Six Sigma Process Improvement, 5S, freight and distribution, materials planning and management, production scheduling, and capacity planning.
- “Get it done” attitude
- Train and develop employees
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Industrial Engineering, or other engineering background
- Flexible insurance offerings with generous company stipend
- Equity stock options
- 401k with match
- Flexible PTO
- Sponsored lunches
- Commuter benefits
- Open to remote candidates
Our 5 Core Values
1. Innovation for Impact
We seek to do something new, big and different united to achieve a substantive end goal
2. Ambition with Empathy
We attract passionate, self-motivated builders that treat their teammates with kindness, candor and understanding
3. Growth oriented Mindset
We take chances and fail forward in order to break through convention, knowing we might not get it right the first time
4. Diversity & Inclusion builds Success
We proactively foster a diverse and inclusive workplace that is a competitive advantage for our success
5. Integrity above All
We are fair, ethical, candid and accountable for our actions no matter what the circumstance or situation
New Age Meats is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.