New Age Meats is a fast-growing Berkeley startup developing plant-based and cultivated meat. We create delicious meat made without animal slaughter – healthier for humans, animals, and the planet.
We’re expanding our food grade organism bioprocessing team and are looking for a Fermentation Scientist to provide technical support toward problem solving and enhancement of fermentation capabilities. The Fermentation Scientist will conduct bench-scale research pertaining to strain evaluation, media and process development, and scale-up/scale-down of manufacturing processes to support the upstream development and deployment of NAMs process technology. The scientist will make an immediate impact by designing experiments and interpreting data that influences the development of our high value products. This individual should be well-versed in fermentation techniques and process design, fermentation scale-down and hardware platforms, and fermentation automation and measurement systems. The successful candidate will play a key role expanding our laboratory scale capabilities and advancing the state of New Age Meats fermentation science.
- Design, set-up, and execute fermentation experiments in benchtop bioreactors ranging in size from 1 mL to 10 L.
- Develop and enhance small-scale fermentation assays.
- Collect, analyze, and present on-line and off-line data from fermentation experiments.
- Design experiments to answer questions and drive decisions and improvements.
- Explore technology advancement opportunities, carry out evaluations of new technology, and support implementation efforts.
- Improve upon existing systems and incorporate new methods of analyses.
- Develop assays to measure and analyze samples to gain a deeper understanding of strain behavior, process characterization and performance analyses.
- Support process transfer to NAMs pilot plant and assist scale-up and tech transfer to CRO/CMO partners.
- Provide knowledge and insights to inform utility, system, or equipment upgrades or expansions.
- Maintain a clean, organized, and safe workplace.
- Coach and mentor junior level personnel.
- Broad technical knowledge and lab scale experience in fermentation including strain screening, process development, and analytics.
- Experience with automated and semi-automated bench scale fermentation equipment including troubleshooting and problem solving
- Strong understanding of biochemical engineering principles, aerobic fed-batch fermentation processes, bioprocess development and optimization, and bioreactor control systems.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to effectively prioritize and complete high-quality projects amidst tight timelines and competing deadlines.
- Ability to establish and maintain excellent record keeping and inventory.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to discuss complex technical concepts with a variety of audiences.
- Ability to travel as needed to support NAMs technology deployment projects.
- Experience using tools and software to analyze large datasets (JMP, Spotfire, etc).
- Independence, with ability to manage work, actions, and expectations is essential.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills are an essential characteristic of a successful candidate.
- Track record of pursuing objectives to completion correctly and on time.
- Team player and collaborator both within and across functional boundaries.
- Represent and foster the company's 5 Core Values.
- Educational Background in Chemical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering, Fermentation, or related engineering or life science discipline with direct hands-on experience operating bioreactors.
- PhD in a related field and 5 years of relevant industry experience or MS with 8 years of experience.
- Flexible insurance offerings with generous company stipend
- Equity stock options
- 401k with match
- Flexible PTO
- Sponsored lunches
- Commuter benefits
Our 5 Core Values
1. Innovation for Impact
We seek to do something new, big and different united to achieve a substantive end goal
2. Ambition with Empathy
We attract passionate, self-motivated builders that treat their teammates with kindness, candor and understanding
3. Growth oriented Mindset
We take chances and fail forward in order to break through convention, knowing we might not get it right the first time
4. Diversity & Inclusion builds Success
We proactively foster a diverse and inclusive workplace that is a competitive advantage for our success
5. Integrity above All
We are fair, ethical, candid and accountable for our actions no matter what the circumstance or situation
New Age Meats is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.Apply Now