Head of Food Product R&D
New Age Meats is a fast-growing Berkeley startup developing cultivated meat. We create delicious meat made without animal slaughter – healthier for humans, animals, and the planet.
We need people to help combine cell biology with plant-based ingredients to create delicious food for the world to eat. You will work alongside others in a food research lab and kitchen, helping to create and bring a food product to market. You will move into pure technological whitespace and shape the future of food and health by addressing humanity’s biggest challenges.
The Head of Food Product R&D role is a high visibility role with strong growth potential that will lead the day-to-day of the Food R&D team & corresponding future platforms bringing novel ingredients into product and commercialization readiness.
- Report directly into CTO, managing new product platform development and commercialization readiness
- Lead, and roll-up the sleeves, with a technical and food-oriented team, inclusive of formulations & applications, sensory and culinary and work hands on to create the most delicious products.
- Oversee day-to-day operations with 3-4 direct reports – driving clarity for them to manage workstreams to critical path commercialization timelines in line with key milestones and corresponding SOPs
- Demonstrate and develop team with strong cross-functional collaboration mindset with production, packaging and upstream biomaterials teams everyday
- Collaborate with Marketing to develop product pipeline over time and foster capturing product preferences and attributes into product integrations, coordinating testing events and refinements accordingly in the day-to-day
- Have a good grasp of concepts with culinary, food sensory, biology, engineering, commercialization
- Critically think and expand on our understanding of novel material properties of our ingredients and novel ingredients and how they interact with other more commonplace ingredients
- Ensure that products from inception to launch and beyond meet product specs and are upheld, partnering with QA/QC and regulatory
- Partner with food manufacturing process lead for scale-up
- MSc or PhD in Food Science, Biology, Chemistry, or related field.
- At least 8+ years in the food industry developing and demonstrated track record in successfully developing and launching consumer meat and/or food products in CPG/Foodservice
- 3+ years’ experience managing at least two (2) direct reports (i.e. Scientist I or II)
- Well-rounded experience with deep understanding technically of textures, material science, flavors and overall appreciation for the consumer experience
- Experience working with novel ingredients and technical food science toolkit both in terms of ingredients as well as instrumentation
- Creative thinker using a multitude of approaches to solve problems and distill into organized next step actions to lead development projects
- Able to navigate both FDA and USDA regulations for meat, poultry, and seafood production
- Thrives in fast paced environment and experience or interest in working in an innovative startup
- Experience developing and commercializing products in the meat industry and/or with co-manufacturers
- Experience integrating new/novel packaging labels for new and reformulated products, assuring technical accuracy and internal requirements.
- Experience providing technical direction to external suppliers/customers, including sample and product information requests, specifications development, and communication of product changes to address safety, product performance, and/or regulatory issues.
- Scientific research experience in developing sustainable products
- Experience with early-stage, venture backed food & beverage company
- Flexible insurance offerings with generous company stipend
- Equity stock options
- 401k with match
- Flexible PTO
- Sponsored lunches
- Commuter benefits
New Age Meats is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.Apply Now