Process Engineer – Bio R&D
New Age Meats is a fast-growing Berkeley startup developing plant-based and cultivated meat. We create delicious meat made without animal slaughter – healthier for humans, animals, and the planet.
We are looking for an experienced and ambitious R&D Bio Process Engineer to join our vibrant team and grow with us and work efficiently to become a seasoned professional in this field. The R&D Bio Process Engineer will report to the R&D Process Manager; and collaborates with research and manufacturing divisions of the company.
- At the direction of the manager, identify, develop, and evaluate methods and process technologies from bench to pilot scale to ensure effective and efficient process capabilities. Hands-on work will require proficiency in both lab practices/techniques and the pilot plant.
- Collaborate with other R&D groups (and Manufacturing when needed) to understand and take forward to scale formula and process and equipment. Solicit, evaluate, and select external vendors and other service providers when needed.
- Document all work according to internal established procedures and guidelines and prepare various project reports. Generate, analyze, summarize, and present experimental data.
- Represent and foster the company's 5 Core Values
- 3-7 years of direct experience in bio and/or bio-chemical process development, especially experience with animal- or plant-based meat industry highly desired. Pilot-scale plant operations experience required. Scaleup to copackers (co-mans) experience is desired.
- Ability to understand root causes of problems and develop solutions is critical to success. Fact-based reasoning and recommendations are essential. Incorporates a high level of technical knowledge & expertise into decision making.
- Ability to adapt to working both in a collaborative team environment and alone. Ability to effectively work and communicate with lab scientists and techs as well as pilot plant engineers, techs, and line workers. Effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to develop and execute Commissioning, Qualification, Verification, and Validation protocols.
- Clear understanding of SIP, CIP, and COP in order to validate cleaning protocols with Quality.
- Ability to develop BFD, PFD, P&ID, etc; perform mass balance, etc; perform time studies to optimize cycle time, makespan, etc; perform pay-back calculations and write preliminary capital proposals.
- Experience with ASABE, NIST, ASTM, AOAC methods.
- Experience with popular brands of industrial food process equipment, analytical instruments, in-line sensors, and PLC automation and control.
- Experience with coordinating 3rd party collaborations, services, etc.
- Ability and willingness to work flexible hours and days as needed.
- Ability to lift and move up to 50 lb. occasionally.
- A B.S. degree in Food Process Engineering or Manufacturing, Chemical, Biological Engineering, or other related fields; advanced degree a plus.
- Ability to use a forklift is a plus.
- Flexible insurance offerings with generous company stipend
- Equity stock options
- 401k with match
- Remote-friendly work life even after COVID
- Flexible PTO
- Sponsored lunches
- Commuter benefits
Our 5 Core Values
1. Innovation for Impact
We seek to do something new, big and different united to achieve a substantive end goal
2. Ambition with Empathy
We attract passionate, self-motivated builders that treat their teammates with kindness, candor and understanding
3. Growth oriented Mindset
We take chances and fail forward in order to break through convention, knowing we might not get it right the first time
4. Diversity & Inclusion builds Success
We proactively foster a diverse and inclusive workplace that is a competitive advantage for our success
5. Integrity above All
We are fair, ethical, candid and accountable for our actions no matter what the circumstance or situation
New Age Meats is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.Apply Now