Bioprocessing Engineer II/ III
New Age Meats is a fast-growing Berkeley startup developing plant-based and cultivated meat. We create delicious meat made without animal slaughter – healthier for humans, animals, and the planet.
We are looking for an experienced and ambitious R&D Biomaterials Scientist to join our vibrant team and grow with us and work efficiently to become a seasoned professional in this field. The R&D Biomaterials Scientist will report to the Head of Biotech R&D and collaborate with Food R&D research personnel and manufacturing divisions of the company.
The R&D Biomaterials Scientist will lead the Biomaterials Engineering team in developing biomimetic materials that will further be incorporated into a variety of porcine food products.
- At the direction of the manager, identify, develop, and evaluate ingredients for microcarrier (cell substrate) development and scale up technologies producing microcarriers that can support cell adhesion, proliferation and differentiation. Hands-on work will require proficiency in lab practices/techniques. Conduct and analyze various design of experiments to optimize materials of interest and introduce functional moieties on the surface of the microcarriers.
- At the direction of the manager, identify, develop, and evaluate new ingredients and process technologies to scale up the food grade matrix for incorporation into NAM’s products.
- Work closely with food formulation team and make necessary changes to microcarrier formulations based on performance in final products and sensory attributes
- Collaborate with other R&D groups (and Manufacturing when needed) to understand and take forward to scale formula and process and equipment. Solicit, evaluate, and select external vendors, universities, and other service providers when needed.
- Effectively communicate and present experimental results to management and peers
- Lead a team of 5-10 scientists/engineers and provide technical inputs to a young, highly ambitious team of scientists and engineers
- Actively involved in designing lab spaces and pilot lab facilities
- Provide technical inputs to upper management that will help make accurate business decisions
- Manage IP knowledge and work on IP transfer between CROs/CMOs
- Coordinate team activities across various R & D divisions, production and function to successfully complete projects within timelines and assigned budget requirements
- Document all work according to internal established procedures and guidelines and prepare various project reports. Generate, analyze, summarize, and present experimental data.
- Provide data required for submission to FDA/USDA and work in alignment with FDA/USDA norms.
- Represent and foster the company's 5 Core Values
- 5+ years of direct experience in new product development, biotechnology, biomaterial development especially experience with animal- or plant-based meat industry highly desired.
- Broad understanding of materials chemistry, nutrition, materials characterization,analytical tools, microbiology, food compositional properties and formulation of plant-based meat alternatives
- Hands on experience with cell culture, microcarriers and 2D & 3D culturing techniques
- Experience with encapsulation, tissue printing, scaffolding techniques a plus
- Experience with unit operations in Food processing.
- Experience with benchling or other electronic lab notebook systems.
- Ability to conduct root cause analysis for troubleshooting and develop solutions is critical to success. Fact-based reasoning and recommendations are essential. Incorporates a high level of technical knowledge & expertise into decision making.
- Ability to adapt to working both in a collaborative team environment and alone. Ability to effectively work and communicate with lab scientists and techs and other junior staff members. Effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with coordinating 3rd party collaborations, services, ingredient suppliers, university researchers etc.
- Ability and willingness to work flexible hours and days as needed.
- Willingness to travel between multiple sites.
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs of materials.
- Interface with the manufacturing team.
- Interface with the QC team.
- Advanced degree (Doctorate) preferred in Materials Sciences, Biomaterials, Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Biology, or other related fields;
- 5+ years of industrial experience is preferred
- Flexible insurance offerings with generous company stipend
- Equity stock options
- 401k with match
- Flexible PTO
- Sponsored lunches
- Commuter benefits
Our 5 Core Values
1. Innovation for Impact
We seek to do something new, big and different united to achieve a substantive end goal
2. Ambition with Empathy
We attract passionate, self-motivated builders that treat their teammates with kindness, candor and understanding
3. Growth oriented Mindset
We take chances and fail forward in order to break through convention, knowing we might not get it right the first time
4. Diversity & Inclusion builds Success
We proactively foster a diverse and inclusive workplace that is a competitive advantage for our success
5. Integrity above All
We are fair, ethical, candid and accountable for our actions no matter what the circumstance or situation
New Age Meats is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.Apply Now