R&D Food scientist – Product Formulation
New Age Meats is a fast-growing Berkeley startup developing plant-based and cultivated meat. We create delicious meat made without animal slaughter – healthier for humans, animals, and the planet.
- At the direction of the manager, identify, develop, and evaluate new ingredients and process technologies to develop a database of plant-based ingredients that can be used to formulate meat alternatives. Hands-on work will require proficiency in both lab practices/techniques and the pilot plant. Conduct and analyze various design of experiments to optimize formulation that deliver to voice of customer requirements
- Identify, develop, and evaluate analytical techniques to quantify the impact of ingredients on organoleptic properties of the final product
- Collaborate with other R&D groups (and Manufacturing when needed) to understand and take forward to scale formula and process and equipment. Solicit, evaluate, and select external vendors, universities, copackers and other service providers when needed.
- Effectively communicate and present experimental results to management and peers
- Coordinate team activities across various R & D divisions and functions to successfully complete projects within timelines and assigned budget requirements
- Document all work according to internal established procedures and guidelines and prepare various project reports. Generate, analyze, summarize, and present experimental data.
- Represent and foster the company's 5 Core Values.
- 2-3 years of direct experience in new product development, especially experience with animal- or plant-based meat industry highly desired.
- Broad understanding of food ingredients, nutrition, food analytical tools, food microbiology, unit operations in food processing, food production formulation and compositional properties, formulation, and manufacturing of plant-based meat alternatives
- Ability to understand root causes of problems and develop solutions is critical to success. Fact-based reasoning and recommendations are essential. Incorporates a high level of technical knowledge & expertise into decision making.
- Ability to adapt to working both in a collaborative team environment and alone. Ability to effectively work and communicate with lab scientists and techs as well as pilot plant engineers, techs, and line workers. Effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to develop and execute Commissioning, Qualification, Verification, and Validation protocols.
- Clear understanding of SIP, CIP, and COP in order to validate cleaning protocols with Quality.
- Experience with coordinating 3rd party collaborations, services, ingredient suppliers, university researchers etc.
- Ability and willingness to work flexible hours and days as needed.
- Ability to lift and move up to 50 lb. occasionally.
- A B.S. degree in Food Science, Chemistry, Biology, or other related fields; advanced degree a plus.
- Flexible insurance offerings with generous company stipend
- Equity stock options
- 401k with match
- Flexible PTO
- Sponsored lunches
- Commuter benefits
Our 5 Core Values
1. Innovation for Impact
We seek to do something new, big and different united to achieve a substantive end goal
2. Ambition with Empathy
We attract passionate, self-motivated builders that treat their teammates with kindness, candor and understanding
3. Growth oriented Mindset
We take chances and fail forward in order to break through convention, knowing we might not get it right the first time
4. Diversity & Inclusion builds Success
We proactively foster a diverse and inclusive workplace that is a competitive advantage for our success
5. Integrity above All
We are fair, ethical, candid and accountable for our actions no matter what the circumstance or situation
New Age Meats is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.